[mythtv-users] VDPAU Current Status Report

Lee Koloszyc pantslessape at gmail.com
Wed Jan 7 15:27:18 UTC 2009

Mitch Gore wrote:
> Hello,
>

> Here is my list or problems.
>
> 1.  De-interlacing doesnt work, most options result in prebuffering
> pauses.  Only one that somewhat works is Advanced 2x but the video is
> still jerky.

 I have problems with most of the deinterlacing methods but I use
one-field without problems and I am getting pretty smooth playback
(initially all of them work and sometime around when they added the
extras and renamed them they stopped working).  There are occasional
glitches here and there but a lot less often since the 180.16 and 180.18
driver.

> 2. Some times when started a video it wont start at all or I get a
> black screen with sound only.

Never have this problem, starts with a black screen but always plays video.
> 3.  Screen flickers alot before it does play.

Don't have this problem either, though when the OSD is up the video
stutters until it goes away
> Now, yes i relize I am using beta drivers with dev software but i
> thought from other reports it was somewhat usable.  Any one have
> solutions to the above?

Unfortunately I don't have any solutions to the above, but VDPAU is a
lot less problematic than XVMC, especially so early in its life cycle.
Plus 5% CPU playing 1080i, blows XVMC out of the water.
The only real problem I have is not being able to use timestretch
because of weird sounding audio.  It is kind of robotic and gurgly.
> Driver ver 180.18
> MythTV r19580

Running the same driver but on r19521.

Lee