[mythtv-users] Fans, or cooling video cards

Yan Seiner yan at seiner.com
Wed Jan 7 13:59:50 UTC 2009

I have 3 video cards in my myth box.  It gets a bit hot.  I'm seeing
strange corruption, which I'm guessing is heat related.  At least it's
appeared recently and the cards run 65 - 74 deg. C in normal use.

The video cards are all half-height, and have passive heat sinks.  With
every slot in the server occupied, there's not much air circulation
around those cards.

I'm trying to rig some sort of fan that would sit over the top of the
cards and blow air directly down on to them.

I've found this gadget:

http://www.xoxide.com/sunbeam-wherever-pci-rack.html

but the reviews at Newegg aren't really encouraging.

Has anyone else solved this?  For now I've reversed some case fans and
I'm trading increased CPU temps for lower GPU temps, but it's not really
a long term solution.....

--Yan