[mythtv-users] Australian components

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Jan 7 02:31:14 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 06 January 2009 19:22:37 Craig Sanders wrote:

> i can't wait until you can get 500GB or 1TB SSDs for a comparable price
> to today's HDDs.  AFAIAC, the sooner hard disks die and vanish like
> 1.44MB floppies, the better...over the years, hard disks have been the
> component most likely to fail (i don't expect to get more than a year or
> two out of them)

I agree with your sentiment about rotating platter drives, I'll be happy to
see them go, but in my experience they are not the most likely components to
fail.

That honor goes to fans. I have had more units fail due to fan failure, and
the resultant thermal problems, than any other type of failure.

The manufacturers seem to love saving a few cents by using the cheapest fans
they can possibly find. Personally I'd be happy to pay a dollar or two more
for some decent Rotrons or other well-made ball-bearing fans, but most makers
do not offer me that option.

--
beww
beww at beww.org