[mythtv-users] Schedules Direct, Google checkout and credit checks

lanas lanas at securenet.net
Wed Jan 7 01:03:02 UTC 2009

On Tue, 06 Jan 2009 11:31:59 -0600,
Robert Eden <rmeden at yahoo.com> wrote :

> On 1/6/2009 5:01 AM, lanas wrote:
> >   So, is there any alternative to Schedules Direct that would have a
> > more customer-friendly approach to paying ?

> Do you have another suggested payment processor?  I added Google
> because folks were not happy with PayPal.  We don't want to even know
> your CC# or other info because we know what it takes to properly
> protect your privacy and don't think it's worth the expense to go
> there. (we try to stay lean)

I've never shopped for a payment processor, I'm not even into web
development, but I'm sure there's a lot out there.  I've dealt several
times with small shops that did not use either PayPal or Google
Checkout, but rather a 'no-name' service, https-based.  Never had any
problems with these. Not that I would have with Google Checkout (PayPal
is out) but while filling the form I happened to ask myself why
would they want a phone number and then I read the terms of use and now
this is also out.

> The most anonymous solution is to buy a Debit/Vista/Gift card at a
> retailer for cash, you can then use the PayPal CC without an account
> payment method.

I guess sending a M.O. is out of the question.  I might be
old-fashioned.  I'll check out this gift card option.  That's a year
now we use MythTV w/o schedules direct but I reckon it can be a nice
addition.  We'll see what diffrence it makes now that my trial has
expired :-)

> As others have noted, I don't see why Google would periodically check
> a card in your account. Remember they don't want to be evil. :)

Maybe I read slashdot too often, but there are more and more stories
about Digital Rights For The Masses (tm) and such so that when it's
possible to say 'no thank you' then I prefer that option.

Some consumer organizations even tell people not to give their phone
numbers when they return merchandise to a store.  Indeed, why would
they need a phone number.  Ho harm done, but why give it when it's not
needed ?  So on so forth.

> I do know we've never gotten any notifications from Google after an
> order has processed except for a few chargeback requests.  We
> certainly would not disable your account, and don't do any recurring
> charges.

Oh, I'm convinced it's OK on your side.

Great service, by the way.

Cheers.