[mythtv-users] Adding new 1 Terabyte Drive and Moving existing Recordings

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Jan 6 17:51:01 UTC 2009

On 01/06/2009 10:11 AM, Kevin Kuphal wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 6, 2009 at 9:01 AM, Lindsay Mathieson wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 7 Jan 2009 12:44:19 am Kevin Kuphal wrote:
>>
>>> r better yet, move everything to the new drive, mount the new drive where
>>> the old drive was mounted in your filesystem, then remount the old drive in a new place for videos.  Don't have to change anything for Storage
>>>
>> How do you copy it? a simple "cp -a " won't get the boot stuff will it?
>>
> Moving a boot disk is a whole 'nother matter.  I wouldn't do that.   For
> example:
>
> If your videos are in /var/mythtv, then:
>
> 1.  Mount new drive in a temp location like /mnt/newdrive.
> 2.  Move (mv) all your files from /var/mythtv to /mnt/newdrive
> 3.  Unmount /mnt/newdrive
> 4.  Mount your new drive in /var/mythtv (which is now an empty folder)
> 5.  Done
>
> Your "root" disk now has free space you can use however you want and your
> new drive is taking the place of /var/mythtv

I'd highly recommend using rsync for copying the files.  In my years
with Myth, I've tried all sorts of things (from mv to cp to dd (on
individual files)--note you can /not/ use tar or cpio or zip--even in
passthrough mode--because they all have 2GiB file size limitations) and
rsync had a /lot/ of advantages.  You can use something as simple as

rsync --av --progress /mnt/video/* /new/drive/directory

(read the man page to make sure you do the trailing slashes properly).
And note that you can also specify --bwlimit to limit I/O bandwidth
(i.e. be even nicer than ionice can be) if you're continuing to use
other stuff on the system during the copy.

Mike