[mythtv-users] Adding new 1 Terabyte Drive and Moving existingRecordings

Stackpole, Chris CStackpole at barbnet.com
Tue Jan 6 15:17:31 UTC 2009

>Sent: Tuesday, January 06, 2009 8:44 AM
>To: Discussion about mythtv
>Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Adding new 1 Terabyte Drive and Moving
existingRecordings

<lindsay.mathieson at gmail.com> wrote:

>>I'm adding a 1000GB drive to my existing 500GB.
>>
>>Heh - this gets asked a lot :) However I'd just like to confirm I've
got the
>>procedure right.
>>
>>1.  The new drive will be formatted with XFS as my understanding is
that XFS
>>is much better and quicker at handling large files - deletes no longer
clog up
>>the system and I can turn slow deletes off.
>>
>>2.  Also I will be moving all my existing recordings off the 500GB to
the
>>1000GB drive. I believe I can just move the files and update the
storage group
>>(Default) to point to the new drive. No need to update the DB apart
from that.

>Or better yet, move everything to the new drive, mount the new drive
where the old drive was

>mounted in your filesystem, then remount the old drive in a new place
for videos.  Don't have

>to change anything for Storage Groups.
>
>Kevin

If you really are going to move the videos anyway, then I second Kevin.
It will be much easier in the long run. Plus, don't delete the files
from the 500GB straight away. Make sure everything copied over first and
works before deleting all of that data. After you have verified that the
data is good then you can delete the files.

Also, if you really are going to use XFS and have never done so
before...well just be careful and see if you can't make friends with
someone who can help quickly first. There seem to me to be two distinct
groups "XFS was nothing but problems!" people and "I have used it for
years without incident!" people. Unfortunately I fall into the first one
on several occasions. I don't want to completely discourage you from
trying it out, just to be cautious and it never hurts to learn all you
can ahead of time.

Have fun!

~Stack~