[mythtv-users] Adding new 1 Terabyte Drive and Moving existing Recordings

Kevin Kuphal kkuphal at gmail.com
Tue Jan 6 15:11:19 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jan 6, 2009 at 9:01 AM, Lindsay Mathieson <
lindsay.mathieson at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 7 Jan 2009 12:44:19 am Kevin Kuphal wrote:
> > r better yet, move everything to the new drive, mount the new drive where
> > the old drive was mounted in your filesystem, then remount the old drive
> in
> > a new place for videos.  Don't have to change anything for Storage
> Groups.
>
> How do you copy it? a simple "cp -a " won't get the boot stuff will it?

Moving a boot disk is a whole 'nother matter.  I wouldn't do that.   For
example:

If your videos are in /var/mythtv, then:

1.  Mount new drive in a temp location like /mnt/newdrive.
2.  Move (mv) all your files from /var/mythtv to /mnt/newdrive
3.  Unmount /mnt/newdrive
4.  Mount your new drive in /var/mythtv (which is now an empty folder)
5.  Done

Your "root" disk now has free space you can use however you want and your
new drive is taking the place of /var/mythtv

Kevin