[mythtv-users] Australian components

Ben Coleman arrikhan_mail at yahoo.com.au
Tue Jan 6 10:17:34 UTC 2009

My specs as an FYI ... which are old these days.. by at least 1 year or
more!

They all run standard Debian Etch (2.6.16 kernel) w/Mythtv 0.20. Am about to
upgrade to Debian Lenny in order to get drivers to work on new Mobo on
backend (new gbit on board needs newer linux amongst other things, installed
OLD network card to get by!)

Frontend
MOBO: ASUS A8N-VM CSM (microATX) w/AMD 64 3800+
VIDEO: Integarted on Mobo; DVI and/or TV OUT. Would recommend a dedicated
Vid Card for 1080. It only copes with 720.
AUDIO: Integrated HD Audio; output via SPDIF --> plugged into surround sound
Rotel amp w/DTS
HD: Was trying to get Gigabyte I-RAM to work (OLD RAM BASED SATA DRIVE) but
didn't work under Linux so ended up with a Samsung notebook drive. Very
quiet!
KB: Highly recommend the Logitech diNovo MINI bluetooth keyboard or any
universal remote (I use an old Philips Pronto as well)
CASE: a Black version of the SilverstoneTek LC11M (TIGHT FIT !!! but
niiiiiiiiice... )

Backend
OLD MOBO: ASUS P4C800E Deluxe P4 2.8GHz w/512MB RAM
NEW MOBO: (just upgraded to) Gigabyte EP45-UD3P w/Q8200E Proc w/2GBRAM due
to hardware failure!
HD: 6 x various SATA drives
TUNER(s): 2 x FusionHDTV DVB-T Dual Digital Cards (PCI)
PSU: 640W PSU
CASE: Silverstone 17m (NOTE, has room for 6 HD's but 1 cannot fit if sixth
if I install RAM in dual channel mode (two sticks) with new mobo. Old mobo
was ok! I chose this case because I wanted desktop style case to stick in a
server rack which sits in garage. I wouold not recommend it over a tower
case with easy HD install/remove options. Antec and Coolermaster seem to do
nice cases.

I would recommend a decent size tower case with easy access for HD's.. where
you don't need to touch anything else. You always install more HD's, replace
old ones with bigger ones.. etc.. etc... and don't want to play with
cables/case problems. I touch nothing else, cos its linux. Once it works...
don't touch!! :)

I subscribe to ICETV for Austrlalian EPG for LiveTV and watch divx/mkv's and
run MAME.

Regards,

BC.