[mythtv-users] Australian components

Lindsay Mathieson lindsay.mathieson at gmail.com
Mon Jan 5 15:50:34 UTC 2009

On Mon, 5 Jan 2009 05:26:36 pm Phil Wild wrote:
> I am in Australia so I will only be dealing with DVB-T and MPEG2 streams.

Hi Phil, I live in Brisbane and have built a MythTV system to basically your
specs, so hopefully I can help out.

> I was originally looking at the HDHomeRun after posting a long time
> ago but this card still has not been released so I am giving up on
> it...

Its USA only. Will never be available here. Not compatible with DVB-T I
believe.

> I am starting from scratch.
>
> I would like to output video and audio through HDMI to my receiver.

Can be done. I personally use DVI-HDMI + 5.1 Analog output. I believe people
have done sound over HDMI using the various Nvidia chipsets - probably best to
ask that one separately. There was a thread earlier on the subject.

> I want to support (HD) 1080i broadcasts.

Not a problem.

> What is a good dual tuner card?

The Nova-T 500 is good:
  http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Hauppauge_WinTV-NOVA-T-500
Also the Fusion Dual Digital 4:
  http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/DVB-T_PCI_Cards#DViCO

> What is a good video/sound card?

Get NVidia! ATI will give you endless grief.  Get a motherboard with a GF8200
or better and a HDMI out, should be able to get one for around $100.

The 8200+ range support VDPAU - Nvidia's new linux HD PureVideo spec and
mythtv will support that on its next release. Its brilliant - 1080p playback
at less than 10% CPU.

> What is a good case (slim and quiet)

Antec do a great line of quiet cases, I have a NSK2480b, looks great *very*
quiet. But if you want quite you need to pay attention to the power supply and
the hard disk as well. the NSK2480 comes with its own (quiet) PSU.

Hard disk - get a Western Digitial Green Power 1 *Terabyte*. Excellent value
for money and quiet.

If you want a quiet low power server - quiet/low power generally go together,
Silent PC Review is a brilliant resource:
  http://www.silentpcreview.com/

> I want to keep the cost below $1000 but preferably less...

Its doable ...

> I am looking at this as a better than beyonwiz type solution as in I
> can also use the system for email/web browsing etc.

My combined F/B also doubles up as a mailserver, webserver, subversion server
and file server. Never been a problem.

Word of Advice : Avoid Wireless like the plague, its a PITA and never as fast
as advertised.

I detailed my build on my blog:
  http://blackpaw-mythtv.blogspot.com/

Cheers,