[mythtv-users] performance on Via cpu when watching live tv

Frank Van Damme frank.vandamme at gmail.com
Sun Jan 4 17:07:36 UTC 2009

On Sun, Jan 4, 2009 at 12:02 AM, Robin Gilks <g8ecj at gilks.org> wrote:

> I'm running Gentoo on an Epia SP13000 which returns the following specs -
> sounds like you are running similar.
>
> cpuinfo
> processor       : 0
> vendor_id       : CentaurHauls
> cpu family      : 6
> model           : 9
> model name      : VIA Nehemiah
> stepping        : 8
> cpu MHz         : 1333.418
> cache size      : 64 KB
> fdiv_bug        : no
> hlt_bug         : no
> f00f_bug        : no
> coma_bug        : no
> fpu             : yes
> fpu_exception   : yes
> cpuid level     : 1
> wp              : yes
> flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr cx8 sep mtrr pge cmov pat mmx
> fxsr sse rng rng_en ace ace_en
> bogomips        : 2670.15
> clflush size    : 32
>
> I used to run the OpenChrome driver in XvMC VLD mode but I've found that
> it can keep up in standard Xvideo mode with the Slim profile with no
> de-interlacers (and it avoids DVD still frame problems in VLD mode).
>
> I'd try playing with profiles/deinterlacers...

I'll play with it.

In the meantime, could someone explain why watching live tv is more
intensive than watching pre-recorded shows? Because of the buffer kept
on hard disk? Would it be impossible to watch mpeg4 on this box then
(more cpu intensive as far as I know)?

About the Openchrome driver: is it the recommended driver in all
cases, or is the Unichrome driver a better choice if you do not intend
to use XvMC?

--
Frank Van Damme

"Anyone can sit down and write some boring artistic song. Pop music is
the hardest shit to write."

- Britney Spears.