[mythtv-users] Partial and No Locks -- RESOLVING

jr jraymyth at gmail.com
Sat Jan 3 21:21:28 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jan 1, 2009 at 10:45 PM, Daniel Kristjansson
<danielk at cuymedia.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-01-01 at 22:23 -0500, jr wrote:
>> Is the signal too weak.
> No, the Partial Lock is telling you that MythTV sees something,
> the signal may be too weak to be watchable, but it is definitely
> not too week to tune.
>
>> Is the signal encrypted.
> No, if it were your TV could not tune to the channel without a
> decryption card, which you've confirmed you do not have.
>
>> Is it marked as encrypted and confusing MythTV.
> Probably, either that or some new problem we've never seen before.
>
>> So my first and most basic question is "Do standard modern televisions
>> decrypt channels that an HVR-1600 cannot?"
> Not without a decryption card installed.
>
>> If the answer is no, then the next step is to either get a better signal
>> or to discover how the channel is mis-marked as encrypted and what to do
>> about it.  Sound reasonable?
>
> First you should checkout, compile, and install the latest version
> of MythTV from svn: svn co http://svn.mythtv.org/svn/trunk/ ...
> This problem may already be fixed there.
>
> -- Daniel

Before resorting to compiling, I decided to reexamine my hardware.  I
replaced my older (10+ years) Time-Warner supplied Recoton Amplifier
with a Winegard HAD-200. I also bought some higher quality connectors
and recrimped my cables.  This brought in a few more channels – UNCHD,
NBC, and CW.   For some reason my TV gets the digital versions of ABC
(118.45), The Weather Channel, Discovery HD, WGN(I think), et al, but
neither the HVR-1600 or HVR-1250 do.  The cable guy is coming tomorrow
to further check the quality of the signal.  There are several other
channels that make it past the no encrypted channels flag, but which
are 'scrambled'.  Even those are getting positive locks now, though of
course there is no content to see.

Slowly, but surely,
jr