[mythtv-users] Mythweb: "ASX Stream" links end in .asx but mplayer doesn't like it and Windows Media Player won't play it...

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 3 15:22:37 UTC 2009

On Sat, Dec 6, 2008 at 4:16 PM, Jeffrey J. Kosowsky
<mythtv-users at kosowsky.org> wrote:
> The "ASX Stream" links seem to end in .asx but when I use that url in
> mplayer, it fills the cache with ~240-250 bytes and then says:
>    Exiting... (End of file)
>
> The error stated is:
>        size_confirm mismatch!: 22611 28271
>        Error while parsing chunk header
>        Failed, exiting.
>
> Adding the "-playlist" option seems to help but not sure why firefox
> doesn't do that automatically.
>
> If I use the same link minus the .asx ending (or indeed ironically
> with any other 3 letter ending but .asx) it seems to work.
>
> Windows media player gives the nondescript "can't play this file"
> independent of the suffix.

Sorry for bringing back this thread of the dead but I'm having the
same issue and I think I have found part of the problem but not the
solution.

When you click on the link in mythweb to do an ASX stream you get an
ASX file but the HTTP header uses the mime type "video/x-ms-asf" which
is probably technically correct but it seems to confuse Firefox.

Firefox doesn't have a default handler for .asx files so I set it up
to use smplayer, which of couse doesn't work because the .asx file
isn't the video, it is some sort of playlist file, however, if you try
to set firefox to use "/usr/bin/smplayer -playlist" then it can't load
smplayer.

Bascially Firefox tries to use the same app for ASF and ASX files but
the ASX file needs the "-playlist" option.

So who's wrong here? Mythweb or Firefox?

Thanks,
Richard