[mythtv-users] Analog audio on pcHDTV HD-5500 card white noise

Jim Cuzella trinitronx at gmail.com
Sat Jan 3 09:58:23 UTC 2009

John Finlay wrote:
> Cuzella wrote:
>> Greetings,
>>
>> I have been recently playing around with my new pcHDTV 5500 card, in
>> hopes of being able to tune both ATSC and the analog output from my
>> DirecTV box.  So far I've got the digital input for ATSC working fine
>> (as long as my antenna gets good signal).  After configuring the analog
>> portion of the card as a v4l device, I am able to switch inputs and view
>> the analog video from the DirecTV D12-100 set top box (STB).
>>
>> My problem is that the audio coming from /dev/dsp1 is complete static
>> white noise.  I've seen threads having to do with the HD-5500 card's DMA
>> access to capture the audio directly from the audio input jack on the
>> back of the card (without the need for the line input being connected to
>> the sound card on the breakout cable).  I am able to plug that loop
>> cable into my sound card's line in (and using /dev/dsp), with this, I
>> can hear the sound coming from the DirecTV STB.  However, with this
>> setup I have to switch the mute on and off for line in using alsamixer
>> each time I switch inputs.  Otherwise the sound from the STB is mixed in
>> over everything!  Also, the other problem with this is audio/video sync
>> is off (audio leads video).
>>
>> How can I get /dev/dsp1 to not be white noise?
>> For more details on my problem, see my last post on the pchdtv forums
>> here: http://pchdtv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7096
>>
> How do you get the DirectTV box output into the HD5500? AFAIK the
> HD5500 audio is only available when receiving analog via the antenna
> input. If you're using the S-Video input there's no audio input to the
> HD5500.
>
> John

I've got an RCA to 3.5mm stereo jack cable.  I hook this to the red &
white audio outputs on the back of the DirecTV box, and I hook the 3.5mm
jack into the back of the card.
The cable I used looks like this:
http://www.mantronics.ca/mantronics%20site%20new_data_PLO/Cables/3.55mm%20to%20rca.jpg
The card has a stereo jack labeled "Audio In" right next to the breakout
cable's port (labeled S-VHS).
Here's a picture of the connectors on the card I took:
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/Y9eAk8zzRnRRXX3qwiTDSg?feat=directlink

From what I've read, it's supposedly possible to get the audio from the
card's internal digital to analog converter (DAC), but I can't seem to
get it working right.  I'm using Mythbuntu Intrepid Ibex by the way.

Cheers,
Jim C.