[mythtv-users] Logitech gamepad as controller -- working joystickmenurc

Ross Campbell ross.campbell at gmail.com
Sat Jan 3 02:13:10 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jan 2, 2009 at 7:13 AM, Dewey Smolka <dsmolka at gmail.com> wrote:
> There are only a couple issues: The analog joysticks will go to sleep
> after a time, but any button press will wake the device back up.

Yep. I guess that's a PS2/PS1 compatibility feature...

> only a single command is sent when you move a stick.

Same here - kind of makes sense that the "repeat" function for a
joypad would have to be interpreted in software. Button press/release
state can be read. Not sure how one would change the joystick reading
code to include a repeat every X ms, after initial button press length
of Y ms... but I'd be interested to have that functionality.

> On the whole, it's an excellent controller, although one does need a
> keyboard handy.

I do find that the joypad up/down events are much faster and more
responsive than my remote control up/down events... but still no
replacement for keyboard with repeat

Thanks for your config - it gave me some ideas. I still wish that
mythtv could make better use of the analog sticks for realtime
controls - I imagine being able to hold a button down and use an
analog stick to adjust timestretch or seek or ffwd/rwd at varying
speeds...

Here's my config for my Logitech wireless PS2 controller:

d-pad and left stick: up/down/left/right
right buttons:
Enter: X, O
Escape: Triangle, Square
Volume down: L1