[mythtv-users] Analog audio on pcHDTV HD-5500 card white noise

Jim Cuzella trinitronx at gmail.com
Sat Jan 3 00:52:34 UTC 2009

Greetings,

I have been recently playing around with my new pcHDTV 5500 card, in
hopes of being able to tune both ATSC and the analog output from my
DirecTV box.  So far I've got the digital input for ATSC working fine
(as long as my antenna gets good signal).  After configuring the analog
portion of the card as a v4l device, I am able to switch inputs and view
the analog video from the DirecTV D12-100 set top box (STB).

My problem is that the audio coming from /dev/dsp1 is complete static
white noise.  I've seen threads having to do with the HD-5500 card's DMA
access to capture the audio directly from the audio input jack on the
back of the card (without the need for the line input being connected to
the sound card on the breakout cable).  I am able to plug that loop
cable into my sound card's line in (and using /dev/dsp), with this, I
can hear the sound coming from the DirecTV STB.  However, with this
setup I have to switch the mute on and off for line in using alsamixer
each time I switch inputs.  Otherwise the sound from the STB is mixed in
over everything!  Also, the other problem with this is audio/video sync
is off (audio leads video).

How can I get /dev/dsp1 to not be white noise?
For more details on my problem, see my last post on the pchdtv forums
here: http://pchdtv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7096

Thanks!
- Jim C.