[mythtv-users] Digital TV

Teruel de Campo MD chusty at attglobal.net
Sat Jan 3 00:39:15 UTC 2009

What do I need for digital TV?

I have Comcast. Most of the TV are connected through a coaxial cable and
the signal is analog. I have one comcast box on one of the TV to see the
digital channels.

I have been using mythtv for a long time. I do have still in  boxes both
pcHDTV HD-5500 and a Hauppauge HDPVR. Few days ago some of you help me
to understands at least in part Digital TV.

Today I have a live chat with comcast and I'll paste it with a little
editing. For most of you using digital TV is so obvious, however for me
this is the hardest part, to compile the new release is the easiest :)
Hope it help somebody else.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
A chat with ComCast:
If I get a Digital TV (one with a quam tuner)
(1) can I just connected to the coaxial cable where I have now the
analog tv  or
(2) I need a comcast box or
(3) you have to install new digital cables ?

>Answer is (1)

So the present coaxial cable transmits also a digital signal correct?

>That is correct.

Right now can I connected to the coaxial and get a digital signal or I
have to wait until February?

>You can now connect your TV using the coaxial cable and do not have to
wait until February.

Additionally as I said in a previous thread Comcast told me that they
will keep the same or very similar list of channels that we have now in
the basic analog package as unencrypted so will be able to see it with
any digital card. Of course if you want to see all the digital channels
is another matter.

So my plan is for this weekend to connect the pcHDTV card and hook the
coaxial that I connect to the 350-pvr and see if it works digital. If it
does then I split the cable and have one for the pvr-350 analog and the
other one for the HD-5500 digital. Does it make sense?

Then if everything is ok I will attack the new baby (haupppage HDPVR)

-=terry=-