[mythtv-users] prebuffering pause

Mike Kurtz fnorbenden at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 3 00:26:33 UTC 2009

Have a box set up with a KWorld ATSC115 on SuSE 11.0 with a GeForce 5500. I have XvMC set up properly (substantial drop in CPU usage after I configured it), and sound is working (ALSA:hw:0,0 to avoid pulseaudio). I get full video and audio playback. Ever 5-6 seconds, however, I get a stutter. I look at the console output and I see:

NVP: prebuffering pause
<repeated>
NVP: Prebuffer wait timed out 10 times
<repeated>
NVP: prebuffering pause
WriteAudio: buffer underrun
<these two repeated/alternated>
this continues for about a minute, then I see
NVP:::AddAudioData():pl: Audio buffer overflow, audio data lost!
<repeated, interspersed with some prebuffering pauses, then becoming more frequent>

I have extra sound buffer on and aggressive sound buffering off. I'm not using CFS. CPU usage is between 40-70, which is high, but I haven't seen it really spiking, just consistent stuttering.

Any ideas?