[mythtv-users] Slow guide in LiveTV

Jelle De Loecker skerit at kipdola.com
Fri Jan 2 13:14:14 UTC 2009

Op donderdag 01-01-2009 om 13:47 uur [tijdzone -0500], schreef Rob
Rosenfeld:
> On Thu, Jan 1, 2009 at 12:13 PM, Joe Borne <joe.borne at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I've been having problems with my guide when I'm watching LiveTV. I was on
> > Fedora 9 with MythTV .20 and recently switched to Mythbuntu 8.10 with 0.21.
> >
> > I have my system set up to bring up the guide as soon as I go into Live TV.
> > But the guide's performance is abominably slow. I can scroll through 4 or 5
> > channels and then it locks up. After about 2 or 3 minutes it unlocks. Any
> > keys pressed while the system is locked are then executed in rapid
> > succession. I've tried switching to guide options that require the lowest
> > CPU power, but no change.
> >
> > When I was on Fedora, this was never a problem and I ran the highest CPU
> > demand guide options with lightning quick response.
> >
> > Can anyone advise me what the problem might be?
> >

> In the past I've had two different issues that slowed down my guide.
> One was missing icons.  If the guide thought the icons should be
> there, but they weren't, it was really slow.  It would be slow anytime
> the guide was opened or I paged up or down.  The other was the
> database was running with insufficient resources, particularly memory.
>  In that case everything else except the guide and the program finder
> in MythTV ran smooth, but the guide was slow to change as I paged up
> or down.

I have had all of these problems (channel icons, memory, playback
profile, ...) and have fixed them all, but the guide is still painfully
slow on my box.

I've deleted all the channel icons, increased the memory, rarely use the
guide in livetv (always the regular one in the menu) but it's still slow
as hell.

Maybe it's because I have 2000 channels, you say?

I've "disabled" 1800 channels (made them invisible) but that didn't sole
a whole lot.