[mythtv-users] Partial and No Locks

jr jraymyth at gmail.com
Fri Jan 2 03:23:05 UTC 2009

>>         > Ok.  But then why does my television pick them up from the same feed?  That is to say, if the signal is encrypted, then should it not be similarly unavailable to the tuner of my LG 50PG20?
>
> Ok assuming the TV is plugged directly into the cable and not into
> the STB which does decryption for you and your TV does not have a
> decryption card in it, it can not decrypt the channels either. So
> in that case my guess would be that the streams are marked as encrypted,
> but are in fact not encrypted. SVN trunk should be able to detect this
> condition and tune to the channel.
>
>>         Your TV is able to decrypt the signal as most displays can.
>>         This "luxury" is not extended to capture cards because we're
>>          all criminals just trying to record TV and sell it for a profit.
>
> Brad, while a few TV's can decrypt the channels off the cable, they
> can only do so with a CAM or CableCard plugged into the appropriate
> slot. jr would presumably know if he or his cable company installed
> one of those, since they charge a fee for it.

Definitely no CAM or CableCard.  No mysterious fees from the cable
company.  No odd attachments or boxes on the cable.  I am running the
MythBuntu distribution of 0.21 which includes fixes, which seems to
detect (mythtv-setup)the same channels as my TV does as being strong
and unencrypted, but is unable to lock and play those channels from
Watch TV  What I am trying to figure right now is where the problem
lies. Is the signal too weak.  Is the signal encrypted.  Is it marked
as encrypted and confusing MythTV.  Or something else.

So my first and most basic question is "Do standard modern televisions
decrypt channels that an HVR-1600 cannot?"  If the answer is no, then
the next step is to either get a better signal or to discover how the
channel is mis-marked as encrypted and what to do about it.  Sound
reasonable?