[mythtv-users] Partial and No Locks

jr jraymyth at gmail.com
Thu Jan 1 21:07:22 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jan 1, 2009 at 3:42 PM, Brad DerManouelian
<myth at dermanouelian.com>wrote:

>    On Jan 1, 2009, at 9:07 AM, jr wrote:
>
>  On Thu, Jan 1, 2009 at 10:54 AM, Daniel Kristjansson <
> danielk at cuymedia.net> wrote:

>> > I believe c means it's encrypted.
>>
>> Yup, if you have a CAM from your Cable/Satellite company, and
>> it is plugged into the CAM slot of your DVB card it will change
>> to an upper case 'C' and begin showing you the program after a
>> few seconds. If you don't, or the CAM isn't working for some
>> reason, it will continue to show the lower case 'c' and it will
>> obviously not show you the program.
>>
>> 'c' is for crypt, as in encrypt and decrypt.
>>
>> -- Daniel

>> Ok.  But then why does my television pick them up from the same feed?
> That is to say, if the signal is encrypted, then should it not be similarly
> unavailable to the tuner of my LG 50PG20?
>

> Your TV is able to decrypt the signal as most displays can. This "luxury"
> is not extended to capture cards because we're all criminals just trying to
> record TV and sell it for a profit.

Sigh, of course. So what does checking "Unencrypted channels only" do when I
scan for channels?  I assumed that it filtered out the unencrypted channels.

Is there anyway around it?  If I get a cable box, then I am limited to the
channel that the box is on, and thus only able to record the one digital
channel, neh?

Thanks,
jr