[mythtv-users] On the finer points of VNC & SSH tunneling

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Sat Feb 28 19:11:38 UTC 2009

Pete Cap wrote:

> 1. Is there any way to do this transparently using any particular VNC
> client? All the instructions I have seen require you to start your
> secure shell session, then connect to vncserver. Can I reduce this to
> one "automagic" step?

UltraVNC and the commercial (payware) version of RealVNC both offer
encryption.

> 2. Do I need to change any of my port forwarding rules on the router?
> Right now tcp/22 on the router is forwarded to tcp/22 on the Myth box.

If youre no longer tunneling over ssh, you need to open up ports for
VNC.  That is port 5900 (+server number, server :1 would be port 5901.

> 4. Currently, when I connect to vncserver (using TightVNC in Windows
> XP) MythFrontent starts automatically, I assume because that's the
> behavior set up for the "mythtv" user. How can I change this behavior?
> When I vnc in under a different user, I only want to get a standard
> desktop (gnome or something).

When you start the server, you run the file '~/.vnc/xstartup'.  This is
identical in function to '~/.xinitrc'.