[mythtv-users] What is temporal spatial deinterlacing, and how do I get it?

Paul Gardiner lists at glidos.net
Sat Feb 28 10:57:22 UTC 2009

jarpublic at gmail.com wrote:

>>> I am only doing SD.
>> With SD content into a TV that has good deinterlacers, I think the best
>> option is still to drive the TV using an SD mode line, either via
>> S-Video, or via a VGA to Scart convertor (if the TV has Scart),
>> use no deinterlacer at all, and put up with the interlaces getting
>> out of sync sometimes.
>>

> That is what I thought. I have an SDTV that has component inputs. I
> have been driving it with the HD480i mode. I didn't see an interlacing
> artifacts, and have been happy with my set up. I just figured I would
> try out the VDPAU because I had a card that could do it and I was
> curious to see if it would work for when I get an HD set. But when I
> turned on VDPAU with the Advanced 2x deinterlacer, I was absolutely
> amazed. I have never seen a recording from my pvr-150 look so good. It
> was incredible the difference it made. The bump in quality was far
> superior to any setting I had previously used from no interlacing all
> the way up to yadiff 2x.

That's interesting. I'd guess the great leap in quality is because
there was something holding back your original setup. Being an
nVidia chip, if you were using XV, then you'd have run into their
bug that gives you only half the vertical resolution. Also if you
accidentally introduce scaling that would mess it up. And there
are settings like TVDeflicker that lose quality (not sure if nVidia
have that, but it's important to turn off with VIA chips). It's
either that, or VDPAU is doing some extra processing (I don't
know - extra deblocking filtering or the like). Either way, it's
good to hear that VDPAU is so good for SD.

Paul.