[mythtv-users] Boxee/Hulu?

Steve Hodge stevehodge at gmail.com
Sat Feb 28 08:23:00 UTC 2009

On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 8:07 PM, Bill Williamson <bill at bbqninja.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 5:53 PM, David Brodbeck <gull at gull.us> wrote:
>
>> Steve Hodge wrote:
>>
>>> If Hulu are giving you something for free don't you think that fact makes
>>> it (morally) even more important to obey the conditions they do impose?
>>> Certainly if I was paying for that service I'd feel more morally justified
>>> in accessing it in whatever way I wanted to.
>>>

>> I'm not arguing with that at all, just saying that it's not quite the same
>> issue as hacking a for-pay service.
>>

> If you even show the ads I'd say they can't prove damages, which is
> necessary in a civil suit (which copyright usually is).

Sure - in the case of individuals they're going to struggle to prove damages
and generally wouldn't bother to try. In the case of the Boxee guys they
might be able to get an injunction though.

But it sounds like you agree that copyright infringement applies and are
just saying that there won't be any consequences.

Regards,
Steve