[mythtv-users] Boxee/Hulu?

Steve Hodge stevehodge at gmail.com
Sat Feb 28 02:43:32 UTC 2009

On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 6:20 PM, Eric Sharkey <eric at lisaneric.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 10:36 PM, Steve Hodge <stevehodge at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > The
> > content is still protected by their copyright. You are not infringing
> when
> > you create your program (i.e. Boxee), but you are infringing if you then
> > copy the content without a license
>
> Except that Boxee doesn't create a copy.

Of course it does - downloading from the server is creating a copy. This is
legally well established.

> They've set up a server to
> hand out a copy to anyone that asks for it.  Boxee receives the copy
> that they create, it displays the content, and then destroys it.  The
> only copying and distributing being done is by Hulu.

No. You're arguing that I can freely download what content I find on the net
- music, movies, software, and that it is the webserver that is infringing
copyright. That's clearly not how the law works.

Hulu have the right to set conditions on how you access their service. If
you don't obey those conditions you're infringing copyright when you
download the content. It's as simple as that.

Regards,
Steve