[mythtv-users] No sound after first reboot

Allen Edwards allen.p.edwards at gmail.com
Sat Feb 28 00:52:53 UTC 2009

I am trying to be a sound expert and here I can't even get analog output on
this install.  I have followed all the advice in my digital sound wiki,
updated everything sufficiently and no sound.  When I first installed
mythbuntu, played a TV show, there was sound.  I rebooted and now no sound.
I have rebooted several times.

This is my 4th myth box and all the other installs worked.  I have digital
on one and analog on 2 so I am really stunned that I have no sound.  One
difference is that this is Mythbuntu 8.10 and the others were 8.04.  There
is no asound.conf file on this install, although there was on 8.04.  I
created this one:

dad at MythIntel:~$ more /etc/asound.conf
   pcm.!default {
       type hw
       card 0
       device 0
   }

After seeing this

dad at MythIntel:~$ aplay -l
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: ALC888 Analog [ALC888 Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 1: ALC888 Digital [ALC888 Digital]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

And when I do this:

aplay -Dplughw:0,0 /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Noise.wav

I get no sound although it looks like it is playing.

alsamixer main is set to 100% as is as is PCM and Front is set to 81

Allen