[mythtv-users] Chris Isaak

Graham Mitchell gmitch at woodlea.com
Fri Feb 27 23:30:40 UTC 2009

-----Original Message-----
From: mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org
[mailto:mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org] On Behalf Of Mike Perkins
Sent: Friday, February 27, 2009 1:48 PM
To: Discussion about mythtv
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Chris Isaak

<snip>

I'm in the UK, and I watch things on the BBC channels (amogst others). No
breaks
in programs at all. I don't have any problem with that. Serials, films,
sports
events, no problem at all.

<snip>

Do people really have difficulty sitting and watching something without
distractions for that long? Is it just what you get used to, perhaps?

Will start off by saying that I'm British, and have been living in the US
since 2001.

I HATE (with a passion) watching live TV in the US. The (seemingly always
continuous) commercial breaks seem to totally break up the flow of a
program. When watching something on Discovery, they seem to spend the first
2 or 3 mins recapping what took place in the last segment before starting
with anything new. I also hate the fact that you get maybe 4 weeks of new
episodes, then maybe 4 or 5 weeks of reruns (more honestly called repeats),
before you get more new shows - back in the UK, we'd get a run of 22
episodes of Hill Street Blues or Babylon 5 on consecutive weeks (with maybe
a break for Christmas or something).

One of the first things I bought when I moved here was a TiVo, so I didn't
have to deal with the madness of commercial breaks. If I want to sit down
and watch a show, I want to spend the 42 mins and change for an hour show,
watching the show, with no interruptions.

My friend is almost the opposite. She is so used to the interruptions,
having lived here all her life, that she can't sit still thru a whole
episode of, well anything, without having to get up and do something. I've
got other friends who can't sit still, or stay quiet, for a whole episode -
they've always got to interrupt what's being watched by saying or doing
something. The odd comment here or there is fine, but it seems like after 10
mins, something has got to give.

So I guess I am agreeing with your last statement.. it's what people are
used to. I am almost at the stage where I will watch a show or a film with
someone, then when I'm alone, go and watch it 'properly' as it were.... In
peace. All the way thru. With the occasional cup of tea. :)