[mythtv-users] Chris Isaak

jarpublic at gmail.com jarpublic at gmail.com
Fri Feb 27 17:12:21 UTC 2009

I posted this story last month. There is length discussion in this
thread: http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/366076.

I don't know anything about the validity of the research but they are
not claiming that people like commercials. Nor are they showing the
head banging phenomenon nicely summarized above. It is more like the
phenomenon you experience when eating a bowl of ice cream. The bites
later on are not nearly as enjoyable as the first bites. But if you
take a break and come back to your ice cream you can regain some of
that initial enjoyment, improving the overall experience. Whether we
realize it or not we don't get as much enjoyment out of a show by
watching it straight through as we do by watching it with
interruptions. They showed that it wasn't anything special about the
commercials. They performed the study again but just had the show
switch to a different show during the breaks (channel surfing) and
they had similar outcome. I rarely sit and just watch TV and do
nothing else anymore. I am almost always multitasking. I wonder what
that does?