[mythtv-users] Linux wall wart pulls 5 watts - could make a great master backend

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri Feb 27 16:44:06 UTC 2009

On Friday 27 February 2009 07:22:23 Simon Hobson wrote:
> Robin Hill wrote:
> >Actually, most old laptops I've seen (and owned) have a battery which
> >lasts about 5 minutes.  I'd advise making sure new batteries are still
> >available before opting for an old laptop.  I guess this is going to be
> >less of an issue with the newer Lithium-based batteries than with NiCad
> >and NiMH though.
>
> Not to mention, leaving a laptop plugged in all the time usually
> kills the battery anyway.

A lot of laptops can't take being on 24/7 due to heat issues. Notice the
popularity of "cooling pads", I figure any laptop that needs one of those is
pretty poorly designed.

But the original point here, that a lot of older laptops can be had cheaply,
and are actually fairly capable, is certainly correct.

As I said before, this wall wart seems to be a slightly more powerful version
of the NSLU2, and those have certainly proved their worth, many people are
using them as Asterisk servers and running complete PBX systems, as well as
mail servers, web servers and other useful things.

--
beww
beww at beww.org