[mythtv-users] Linux wall wart pulls 5 watts - could make a great master backend

Robin Hill myth at robinhill.me.uk
Fri Feb 27 13:34:05 UTC 2009

On Thu Feb 26, 2009 at 07:02:05PM -0800, Brad Templeton wrote:

> However, it might make more sense to use an old laptop as your
> lightweight tunerless master back end.  Old laptops can be had
> cheap, they take about 10-15 watts instead of 5 watts (less
> with screen off) and they have a built-in long-lasting UPS.

Actually, most old laptops I've seen (and owned) have a battery which
lasts about 5 minutes.  I'd advise making sure new batteries are still
available before opting for an old laptop.  I guess this is going to be
less of an issue with the newer Lithium-based batteries than with NiCad
and NiMH though.

Cheers,
    Robin
--