[mythtv-users] What is temporal spatial deinterlacing, and how do I get it?

Paul Gardiner lists at glidos.net
Fri Feb 27 08:50:08 UTC 2009

Brad Templeton wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 11:15:38AM +0000, Paul Gardiner wrote:
>> As far as I know Bob just turns each field into a frame by line
>> doubling. What you describe is present in MythTv with the name
>> "Interlaced" deinterlacer, and is available only if you use
>> OpenGL for blitting. Someone else here called it "Field Order".
>> In theory "Field Order" is the perfect deinterlacer for use
>> with interlaced content into a matching interlaced output. It
>> can do the same job as Bob x2 but, unlike bob, cannot get out
>> of sync.
>

> Hmm.  I tried using "Interlaced" with opengl -- I had not been aware
> that there were extra deinterlacers with opengl -- and all I get
> is:
>
>     Couldn't load deinterlace filter opengldoubleratefieldorder
>
> And a clearly non-deinterlaced image for sdtv and a black screen
> for 1080i.

Yes, I've never been able to make it work either. I was just
reporting it's intended use, and good it should be in
theory. I don't think anyone has made serious use of it for
some time. It would be good to have a software version that
wouldn't depend on good OpenGL support.

Just to be clear: the field order deinterlacer is for use
only when your content exactly matches your output mode,
e.g. playing 1080i with a 1080i mode line, or playing
SD with a 576i/480i mode line.

P.