[mythtv-users] What is temporal spatial deinterlacing, and how do I get it?

Brad Templeton brad+myth at templetons.com
Thu Feb 26 21:50:48 UTC 2009

On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 11:15:38AM +0000, Paul Gardiner wrote:
> Brad Templeton wrote:
>> The description of bob 2x at http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Deinterlacing
>> differs from this but I suspect it is wrong.  I thought that box 2x
>> displayed at 60 frames/second showing the current field every other
>> line mixed with the previous field in alternate lines, like a TV with
>> 1/30th second persistence does.
>
> As far as I know Bob just turns each field into a frame by line
> doubling. What you describe is present in MythTv with the name
> "Interlaced" deinterlacer, and is available only if you use
> OpenGL for blitting. Someone else here called it "Field Order".
> In theory "Field Order" is the perfect deinterlacer for use
> with interlaced content into a matching interlaced output. It
> can do the same job as Bob x2 but, unlike bob, cannot get out
> of sync.

Hmm.  I tried using "Interlaced" with opengl -- I had not been aware
that there were extra deinterlacers with opengl -- and all I get
is:

    Couldn't load deinterlace filter opengldoubleratefieldorder

And a clearly non-deinterlaced image for sdtv and a black screen
for 1080i.

Playing with deinterlacers is a royal pain because the menus to
change your deinterlace profiles are very deeply buried.

I encourage people who have played with things to update this
wiki page:

        http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Deinterlacing

with reports like how good a deinterlacer looks, how much CPU
or GPU is needed to make it work on 1080i and the likes.

I just updated the structure of the page a bunch.