[mythtv-users] building and maintaining seek tables for videos in mythvideo

jarpublic at gmail.com jarpublic at gmail.com
Thu Feb 26 07:11:52 UTC 2009

> Mythcommflag never really worked for me with most of my video files.  In my
> experience what you want to use is:
> mythtranscode --buildindex --video --infile <filename>
> Note that this will leave behind a big temporary file in the same directory
> that you'll have to delete manually.
>
> I've found that this is only sometimes necessary for AVI files but is almost
> always necessary to get reasonable seeking for stuff in MPEG4 containers.  I
> mostly end up doing it whenever I get annoyed by a file that doesn't seek
> right, but I've occasionally used various incantations of the 'find' command
> to do it recursively on whole folder trees.  As far as I know there's no
> built-in way to do it automatically.

I think for now I would like to go ahead and do all of my files, but
in the future I guess I will take on an as needed policy. I have a 4
year old and 2 year old twins, as you can imagine the ability to skip
back and watch something again is essential in my house. I have seen
this debated in the archives about whether it is better to use
mythcommflag or mythtranscode for this purpose. It seems like
mythcommflag is supposed to work and should be faster, but
mythtranscode seems to be more reliable. What is the difference
between the two approaches?