[mythtv-users] "Fast" wireless options?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Feb 26 03:46:54 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 25 February 2009 20:34:41 Owen Townend wrote:

> Agreed, if you can find a sane way to run cables then it will probably be
> the better option.

Unless the hardware is actually moving around while in use, wired solutions
are almost always to be preferred. I tend to seek out hotels where I can use
a hard wire, rathar then rely on the sometimes very iffy hotel wifi networks.
The 2.4Ghz. band is getting extremely crowded, especially in urban areas, and
will only get worse with more "N" type units covering more areas. Not just
WiFi but cordless phones, microwave ovens, Bluetooth, baby minders and a host
of other devices share this band.

If you happen to live west of Denver you will get horrendous 2.4Ghz.
interference caused by large microwave ovens that Coors uses to dry the paint
on beer cans.

The directional antenna suggestion was excellent though, not only more signal
but less off-axis interference.

There are very few cases when it is truly impossible to run a wire, if you are
willing to be a little creative. There are some specialty products for going
under carpets, underground, through windows and other challenging situations.
It can get expensive if you have to use plenum-rated cable or punch through a
firewall (physical type, not iptables or the like), and cost is certainly a
factor in some cases.

--
beww
beww at beww.org