[mythtv-users] Happauge HVR-1800 . . . latest opinions?

Robert McNamara robert.mcnamara at gmail.com
Thu Feb 26 01:09:25 UTC 2009

On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 5:04 PM,  <stefan_jones at comcast.net> wrote:
> I believe that my MythBox has an open PCI-Ex1 slot, so the HvR-1800 is still
> a possibility. However, if the HVR-1600 is older and more stable that is
> certainly a possibility.

Only the digital side of the HVR-1800 will currently work in Myth.
The analog side will not work properly as Myth's code presumes the
MPEG-2 encoder cards use the ivtv driver-- the 1800 does not.  Work is
being done to remedy this.  If you want a digital-only card for the
time being, the 1800 is fine.  If you intend to use both sides, then
your only option is the 1600 (Presuming you want an analog tuner with
hardware encoder + a second, simultaneously usable digital tuner).

Robert