[mythtv-users] What is temporal spatial deinterlacing, and how do I get it?

Paul Gardiner lists at glidos.net
Wed Feb 25 16:14:30 UTC 2009

Tom Dexter wrote:
> Thanks for the reply Seth.  That does sound pretty nice.  I may give
> it a try at some point, though I need a new video card to support
> it...I have a 7100GS card.
>
> One thing confuses me though.  I use that same patch you're referring
> to (to allow Bob 2x on 1080i output).  When you use VDPAU and enable
> Bob 2x, the Bob deinterlacing is handled by VDPAU?
>
> Other than the performance improvement, do you see a noticeable
> improvement in the picture quality using it?

For 1080i output, Bob 2x should give the best results of all - better
than any other deinterlacer, because with 1080i output, you don't
want any processing of the interlaces, you just want them passed
out in sync. Having said that, I have no idea how you are always
getting them in sync. I'd expect half the time that you'd get the
interlaces being displayed spatially reversed. Perhaps nVidia
have a trick to keep them in sync.

Cheers,
	Paul.