[mythtv-users] HDMI vs DVI->HDMI

Jacob Steenhagen jacob at steenhagen.us
Wed Feb 25 12:52:33 UTC 2009

Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
> Hi
> 2009/2/25 Friedrich Clausen <fred at derf.nl <mailto:fred at derf.nl>>
>     As far as I know, HDMI and DVI are electrically equivalent and the
>     only difference is that HDMI supports audio and HDCP. So you there
>     will be no quality reduction with the DVI -> HDMI adapter and I would
>     recommend keeping it. This is what I use and it works very well.
> DVI supports HDCP too
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think MythTV (or more accurately
Linux) supports HDCP. And without any way to get at encrypted sources,
there isn't much point in doing so as it just adds complication.

This message is signed with GnuPG using the Enigmail Thunderbird plugin.
My public key: http://jacob.steenhagen.us/gpgkey.asc (91DE47A9)