[mythtv-users] Channel Line-up Export

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Feb 25 03:21:47 UTC 2009

On 02/24/2009 05:47 PM, R. G. Newbury wrote:
> Michael T. Dean wrote:

>>> Just the Line-up.  Partly because I want to do a sort of perm.
>>> backup of some of my setup.
>>
>> There's a section on that wiki page that talks about backing up
>> xmltvid's.  I'm planning to rewrite the backup/restore support to
>> make it easier (will be a normal full backup instead of a special
>> backup).  The restore will then take a look at the old channels and
>> try to match them up with the new channels and try to modify the
>> settings of the new channels to match what you had previously (i.e.
>> things like xmltvid, useeit, visible, ...).
>>
>> However, I doubt there will /ever/ be a (safe/reliable) way to just
>> backup up and then restore the channels (and all associated channel
>> info) themselves.  Instead, you'd have to do a backup, fetch channels
>> from listings provider or scan for channels, then "restore" channel
>> settings on top of the new channels.
>
> Of course there is a safe/reliable way to just backup the channels.
> Just backup the channel related tables, and restore them later. Most
> mysql restore scripts use --drop-table as a matter of course, so that
> the existing table is entirely replaced when the restore is done. If
> you do that the only reason to 'fetch channels' would be to add new
> channels to the table(s).

By safe/reliable, I meant that because there are other tables that
contain references to information in the channel-related tables, it's
possible that the backed-up channel info won't work with the data in the
non-channel-related tables when it comes time to restore.

If you back up all the tables that have anything to do with channels
(i.e. all the ones that reference the channel stuff), you're basically
backing up the entire DB.

So, just back up the entire DB.

Mike