[mythtv-users] Linux wall wart pulls 5 watts - could make a great master backend

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Feb 24 21:38:10 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 24 February 2009 14:00:02 jarpublic at gmail.com wrote:
> Marvell has released $100 dev kits of this new device. It is a small
> wall wart that claims to run on 5 Watts. It has 512MB each of RAM and
> Flash, and a 1.2GHz CPU, and gigabit ethernet, and usb 2.0. The
> software and hardware is/will all be completely open source/spec. They
> say the have ported a couple of the major Linux distributions already.
> I was thinking this would be a nice master backend. I don't record
> that much tv, and it would be nice to shutdown or S3 suspend my other
> machines and then the only thing drawing power most of the day would
> be this little thing.

As a master B/E it would need storage. Were you thinking of some sort of
network-based storage (which would also consume power), or using USB-attached

It's certainly an interesting concept. If it's an ARM processor a lot of the
development for the NSLU2 might be useful.

Faster and more RAM than an NSLU2, and in the same price range.

beww at beww.org