[mythtv-users] The $99 frontend is here. Is this too good to be true?

Dan Wilson dwilson at dslextreme.com
Tue Feb 24 20:25:36 UTC 2009

Justin The Cynical wrote:
> Yan Seiner wrote:
>> Justin The Cynical wrote:
>>>

>>> Myself, I'm looking at one for a firewall to replace the dodgy VIA
>>> 800 Mhz board I have now.  Just don't know how noisy these things
>>> are...
>> ?????
>>
>> A *firewall*?
>>
>> http://www.openwrt.org and get one of the supported routers.  You can
>> pick one up on ebay < $50 and most APs draw < 100ma with the radio
>> turned off.  You can create up to 4 vlans as well.
>
> Too small.  It couldn't handle multiple static IP's very well, didn't
> do a proper DMZ (not enough physical interfaces), and I was running
> into memory limitations.
>
> And now with one of the people here at the house (one of my users?)
> being involved with the FSU project (Hard Light Productions for more),
> as well as hosting two, perhaps three very soon, svn repos for
> projects, and the torrents associate with said projects, the WRT just
> isn't quite up to the task.
>
> I've already retired my old Linksys running DD-WRT.  Less power, sure,
> but it just couldn't handle the load.
You might take a look at www.mikrotik.com.  I have used (and am using)
their software in both their own hardware as well as in a standard PC,
and it has a lot of features available.  You can download a free version
that is fully functional for a limited period - I simply installed it
into a vmware session then took a snapshot of the freshly-installed vm,
and reloaded from that snapshot when the time ran out - it worked for me
for my initial testing and decision-making, and then I bought a real
license.  Their hardware runs from very low-end boards with 3 ports
(10/100 or 10/100/1000 depending upon which board) to a  9-port 10/100
unit.  They have several U.S. distributors - I use www.wisp-router.com.

HTH,

Dan.