[mythtv-users] [OT] - VUDU - On-Demand 1080p movies

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Tue Feb 24 19:28:59 UTC 2009

On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 10:58 AM, Robert McNamara
<robert.mcnamara at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 10:51 AM, Mark Knecht <markknecht at gmail.com> wrote:
>> This just in on a list I subscribe to:
>>
>> [QUOTE]
>>
>> VUDU, Inc., a leading provider of digital on-demand entertainment
>> products and services, today announced it has achieved another
>> industry milestone by becoming the first on-demand service to offer
>> high definition  movies for download to own on its popular 1080p
>> Internet Movie Player. HD movies are available for purchase today to
>> all Vudu owners.
>>
>> [QUOTE]
>>
>> I wonder what that would do to my Comcast bandwidth budget? ;-)
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Mark
>>

> Don't worry, if they hit even 25% of blu-ray bitrate I'll eat my hat.
> :)

I'm not worried. Just passing along the message. I don't use VUDU and
our NetFlix Instant Watch usage isn't going to hit my 250GB limit.

> They focus on the flashy term (1080p) but not on the metrics that
> actually tells you whether it'll be worth watching (codec, bitrate,
> and encoding options).

Absolutely. 1080p of a black screen probably isn't many packets. ;-)

> I'll guess it'll be h.264, but probably 4-8 Mbit.  Probably acceptable
> for the average person but I'll hand on to my 40+ Mbit Blu ray disks
> for now.  ;)

Are you enjoying BluRay? We've talked about getting one but haven't
bothered yet as we don't have a 1080p TV.

- Mark