[mythtv-users] Configuring multiple video sources?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Feb 24 16:09:56 UTC 2009

On 02/24/2009 07:32 AM, Fredrik Hallgarde wrote:
>>> I think I've understood that Video Sources are really program
>>> listing sources (strange name). But it seems very limited to only be
>>> able to point only one Video Source per capture card.
>> No, actually a video source is a source of video programming
>> content.  Therefore, since you can only plug one source of content
>> into a single input of a card, you can point only one video source
>> per (/input/ of a) capture card.
>>
>> The program listings source is the source of listings data describing
>> the content available through a video source.  What you actually want
>> is a way to associate multiple listings sources with a single video
>> source--but it's completely unnecessary functionality in Myth...
> <snip>
>>> . If I make the means to fetch the listings for the other channels,
>>> how can I connect the new source to the DVB-S card in MythTV?
>>>
>>> Do I need to create a video source wrapper, e.g. my own XMLTv
>>> grabber, which would make MythTV think that it's still getting data
>>> from one source?
>> Kind of, but actually xmltv provides all the tools you need.  See
>> tv_cat (and the info about it/other XMLTV tools on the xmltv
>> lists/fora/wikis/...).
> It is possible, there is a Combiner grabber available in XMLTV. It is
> a bit interesting to configure as it concatenates all configuration
> files to one, making small updates to the configuration harder.
>
> Whether the functionality should be left to XMLTV (as it is now) or be
> integrated in MythTV could be open for debate but I find the
> functionality very necessary as I would expect most people able to
> receive programming from multiple sources on a single capture card
> (e.g. nearby countries OTA/DVB-T). With the XMLTV-listings typically
> organized by country this require combining multiple listings for a
> single video source.

Feel free to write the patch to add the support for multiple listings
sources being connected to a single video source.  (It's actually not
that terrible a project as some work has been done on it--you'd just
have to "turn things around".)

I'll say that I won't be doing it, though, as it wouldn't help me, and I
think the existing tools in XMLTV work fine (as they /already/ exist and
I'm guessing the number of people who need this capability is
small--considering how seldom we get questions about this--or perhaps
you guys just do a very good job of reading the wiki/archives before
asking ;).

See:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/commits/263352#263352
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/264755#264755