[mythtv-users] switching to mythbuntu, how to port recordings?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Feb 23 02:38:12 UTC 2009

On 02/22/2009 07:43 PM, Mark Chang wrote:
> I am taking my ancient edgy-eft myth fe/be, which has served me very
> well since Nov 2006 (http://is.gd/ktZa), and moving it into mythbuntu.
> I'm running, through some silly apt sources jankyness:
> 0.20.2-0ubuntu0.6.10.1 -
> 0.20-svn20070122-0.0ubuntu6~edgy1 -
> 0.20-0.2ubuntu2 -
>
> so, it looks like some variant of 0.20.2. I plan on moving to 8.10
> mythbuntu, which I'm assuming has 0.21. I am just vetting my plan of
> attack with the experts. Same box, just adding a 1.5tb drive for more
> recording space.
>
>  1. backup mysql
>  2. install mythbuntu on boot drive
>  3. set it all up
>  4. use http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-23.html#ss23.7 to
> import old recordings in the DB
>  5. enjoy
>
> does that sound about right? anything I'm missing?

If you're going from 0.20.x to 0.21, you can't do 23.7.

Instead, you'd have to do a full restore, then start mythtv-setup (which
will make a mess of things if you change hostnames), then exit
mythtv-setup, then backup the DB, then drop the DB, then do 23.7.

My recommendation, though, is that you use
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore , which works
with 0.20 and 0.21.

Your best bet is to make sure you don't change the hostname of the myth
system.

Do a backup of the 0.20 DB:
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore#Database_Backup ,
install the new mythbuntu system, set it up, then do a full restore:
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore#Database_Restore
and
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore#Full_restore_of_a_specific_backup_file
, then reconfigure Myth.

If you really want to do a "partial restore", you can then do another
backup (of the 0.21-fixes DB), then drop the DB, then
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore#Database_Restore
followed by either
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore#Partial_restore_of_a_backup
or
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore#Partial_restore_of_a_backup.2C_including_plugin_data

But, you likely won't need to do the partial restore.

Mike