[mythtv-users] high cpu utilisation with bob deinterlacer

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Sun Feb 22 23:04:06 UTC 2009

On Sun, Feb 22, 2009 at 5:46 PM, Adam <adam at fastmail.com.au> wrote:

>> That is an odd one.  I'm running almost the exact same version of
>> everything under Gentoo, except that I'm still on the 2.6.27-gentoo-r7
>> kernel and I use fluxbox rather than xfce.  I'm using the 177.82
>> nVidia drivers.  On my Dell 4700 3 Ghz P4 frontend the typical usage
>> of mythfrontend and X combined is probably about 60% total playing
>> 1080i.  X rarely uses much of any at all.
>>
>> I have always had UseEvents on my the way.  I recall that without it I
>> would frequently have X using almost 100%.  Also note that I recently
>> disabled OpenGL vsync in MythTV and got RTC working, as that was
>> causing locking issues that got much worse with the 177.82 drivers.
>>
> Thanks Tom,
> Well I don't have vsync enabled in mythtv anyway, so that isn't the
> problem in my case. Nor is UseEevents because that doesn't help either.
> Could you please elaborate on what you said about RTC. I read a wiki
> which explained the three frame timing methods, but didn't elaborate on
> how to change them.  I figured out mine is currently set to usleep on
> both PC's.
>
> I'm going to mess around with the PC for a couple of hours today. If I
> can't figure out the problem I'll try switching video cards (9600GT with
> 8800GT)

You need to enable RTC in your kernel.  In the kernel menuconfig thats at:

Device Drivers -> Character devices -> Enhanced
Real Time Clock Support

Than I created /etc/sysctl.conf with this:
dev.rtc.max-user-freq = 1024

...as per this:

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Frame_display_timing

...and MythTV uses RTC as long as OpenGL vsync isn't enabled.

Tom