[mythtv-users] Mythfrontend and AAC

Robert McNamara robert.mcnamara at gmail.com
Sun Feb 22 17:13:14 UTC 2009

On Sun, Feb 22, 2009 at 9:07 AM, Francois Gouget <fgouget at free.fr> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm running the Snider Pad build of Mythfrontend (0.21-fixes 20090126
> rev 19778) on a Mac Mini (Leopard) and I noticed that in some recorded
> shows I have no sound. So I investigated a bit and these videos happen
> to have an AAC soundtrack (and h264 for the video).
>
> Looking in the console I saw the following Mythfrontend message:
>
> 2009-02-21 00:31:34.701 AFD Error: Could not find decoder for codec (AAC), ignoring.
>

> Does anyone know if the Mac build is supposed to support AAC sound?
>
> I was unable to find much online about how Mythfrontend handles AAC. It
> seems like there's an --enable-libfaac configure option but I have no
> idea if it applies to the Mac OS X build.
>
> Maybe instead this is a runtime issue. Do you know if Mythfrontend needs
> any specific codec to be separately installed on the Mac? I'd expect the
> Mac to already have what it takes to decode AAC since that's the format
> used on the iTunes Store (iric).
>

> Regards,

>   http://www.nabble.com/Errors-Watching-x.264-encoded-videos..-td15008817s15552.html
>
>  * An extract of a recording with an AAC soundtrack for which I have no
>   sound on the Mac:
>   http://fgouget.free.fr/tmp/MythTest-AAC.mpg
>
> --
> Francois Gouget <fgouget at free.fr>              http://fgouget.free.fr/
>                     f u kn rd ts, ur wy 2 gky 4 ur wn gd.

The compile option for AAC playback is actually --enable-libfaad.  For
it to work on Mac OS, libfaad would need to compile there and be
installed prior to compiling the frontend with --enable-libfaad.  No
idea if libfaad will compile on OS X, or if the sniperpad guy does so.
 You could compile yourself and attempt to do so.

Robert