[mythtv-users] Suggestions for dual-headed configuration

Yan Seiner yan at seiner.com
Sun Feb 22 15:22:26 UTC 2009

Allen Edwards wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 22, 2009 at 6:02 AM, Richard Hartmann
> <richih.mailinglist at gmail.com <mailto:richih.mailinglist at gmail.com>>
> wrote:
>
>     Hi all,
>
>     after reading what the wiki [1] has to offer wrt X.org setups, I am
>     still unsure on how to set up my box.
>
>     I have one GFX card with two DVI outlets (my old card & CPU seem to be
>     beefy enough, after all. Yay). I want to use one for a desktop and the
>     other one for my TV. For now, the TV will not be connected at all
>     times
>     as I decided to get some experience with my desktop before
>     purchasing a
>     dedicated system. Ideally, I would want to switch the secondary (TV)
>     display on and off on demand without quitting my desktop session.
>
>     Does this make sense? If yes, does anyone have a setup like this and
>     is willing to share his/her xorg.conf?
>

>     Richard
>

> This is trivial and supported out of the box.  Just run
> nvidia-settings with the TV plugged in and enable the second monitor.
>  Set it up as a separate display and NOT twinview.  You will get
> exactly what you want. I have two machines set up that way right now.
>   The only issue you might have is setting the system up so that the
> monitor you want is the main one.  Worst case, you edit your xorg.conf
> file and put them in the right order after seeing how they come up.
>  Or, you might switch the cables and run nvidia-settings again.  Both
> of my set ups are CRT and TV.  One of my set ups is really a CRT and
> either a projector or a TV depending on which one is turned on.
>
> Don't let anyone tell you this is complicated and requires some exotic
> setup unless you want to do as Yan suggests and have an exotic setup
> but two monitors on one machine with a single mouse and keyboard is
> easy.
Yup, that's why I wanted to clarify the difference between dual-head and
multi-seat.  One is easy; the other is still on the bleeding edge,
although less so as time goes on.  There is a big push to get it working.

One thing to keep in mind:  The nvidia driver turns off any output that
is not connected.  Since nvidia doesn't support randr 1.2+, there is no
way to turn on an output short of unloading the nvidia module, plugging
in the monitor, and reloading the module.

--Yan