[mythtv-users] Looking for Dual Head Help

Yan Seiner yan at seiner.com
Sat Feb 21 18:15:26 UTC 2009

myShade wrote:
> On Sat, 2009-02-21 at 09:27 -0800, Yan Seiner wrote:
>
>> John Welch wrote:
>>
>>> So, anyone get any suggestions on how I can make this work?  I think
>>> what I want is two separate X servers each controlling one display,
>>> but I can't figure out the proper xorg.conf for this configuration.  I
>>> have read the section in the wiki page describing this setup, but it
>>> is just not clicking with me.  Ideally I'd like to be able to use both
>>> displays at the same time, like I can do now with my Xinerama setup,
>>> but this is not absolutely essential as most of the time I'm really
>>> only use one display or the other.
>>>

>> http://wiki.c3sl.ufpr.br/multiseat/index.php/NVidia_multiseat
>>
>> However, you will lose XvMC and compiz if that's an issue.  It's not for
>> me as myth + Xorg + Xephyr are still < 70% of one core with this setup.
>>
>> However, be careful - the latest experimental xorg is not supported by
>> nvidia binary blobs, so you really want to stay away from anything > 1.5.3
>>

>> --Yan
>>

> Hi.
>
> Im using two desktops sharing mouse/keyboard.
> Now im looking into give the desktops each mouse/keyboard.
> Is it possible to dedicate m/k to the each desktops?
> Or is it going with multiseat patches?
>
> Might ask why. I moved into an apartment with preinstalled TP's, then i
> can attach a KVM extender and just put monitor, m/k and audio in any
> room i like, and im set with a silent and clean seat.

The only way to have a separate X session and separate mouse/kbd on each
head of a dual-head card is to do something like mdm where you run a
single Xorg session on all available heads and then run Xephyr on each
head separately.  mdm semi-automates this but there are other ways to do
this.

Google for multiseat.  IIRC fedora and ubuntu each come with their own
way of doing multiseat.

--Yan