[mythtv-users] overscan problems with nvidia 8400 GS

Dale Pontius DEPontius at edgehp.net
Sat Feb 21 03:17:00 UTC 2009

Bill Williamson wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 21, 2009 at 12:17 PM, <jarpublic at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> The documentation is wrong and TVOverScan no longer works in xorg.conf
>>> I put made the last two lines of /etc/gdm/Init/Default as below.
>>>  Experiment with the 20 number.  I can't remember what the settings are but
>>> if you make the 20 a 50 you will see what it does.  Just restart X to see.
>>>  Also, my TV screen is TV-0, if yours is different, change that too.
>>>
>>> nvidia-settings -a TVOverScan[TV-0]=20
>>> exit 0
>>>
>> I have tried this as well as adding it to my ~/.nvidia-settings-rc and then
>> calling nvidia-settings -l at using the gnome session settings. Neither of
>> these works. I think the overscan setting is not available in the driver for
>> the 8400gs. When you run nvidia-settings gui there is no overscan option
>> anymore.
>>
>> Is there something I can do with modelines? I don't know anything about
>> them butI have seen people talking about getting them right for a specific
>> TV. Are they only an issue with HDTV LCDs?
>>
>> It is incredibly frustrating because this is a newly built system and
>> thought I got all the hardware right so that I could leave behind several
>> little nuiscances I was dealing with because my old hardware. Now all I have
>> done is replaced them with a new set of annoyances.
>>
>> Any other ideas about fixing this overscan issue would make me very
>> pleased.
>>

> I have an 8400gs and have the EXACT same problem!
> NVIDIA-Settings for tvoverscan does NOTHING, and there are NO options in the
> gui tool for overscan as well...
>
> I actually used the mythtv screen sizing stuff, but unfortunately it has a
> few bugs (which I need to post!)

I presume nVidia is not responsive, or has nobody tried, yet?

I'm building a front-end box in the basement now, with an 8400GS in it,
so I'm watching this with great interest.  I have or have had an account
on nvnet, or something like that.  So if nobody else has, I'll certainly
be bringing this up.  I've only brought the box upstairs once so far to
do a test hookup to the TV, and noticed no difference between 0.0 and
1.0 on the overscan setting in xorg.conf.  This can certainly be
considered a BUG, and filed as such, since they have documented it.

I'll make sure to have nvidia-settings installed before my next time
fiddling.

Dale Pontius