[mythtv-users] OT: RCN cable opinions?

Dave Tarkowski dtarkows at gmail.com
Fri Feb 20 18:21:17 UTC 2009

On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 10:39 AM, Steven Adeff <adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
>  Comcast is burning their already short string with me these last few
> months, and since I'm lucky enough to have the ability to switch to a
> different cable providor, RCN, I'm thinking about doing it. The costs
> are basically the same though RCN seems to have more basic HD
> channels.
> So, my question to you all is, what are people's experience with
> RCN?Would I be trading one rabid dog for another?
> Do their HD boxes work well with firewire capture in Myth?

I've had RCN for a number of years and have been pretty happy with
them.  It does not appear that they've enabled encryption on the
firewire output, so I get all of the channels that I'm subscribed to,
including HD and premium channels, over firewire.  I was upset when
they dropped the analog signal and went to all digital since that
meant that most of my tuners became useless, but it turns out to not
have been much of a problem.

As another poster mentioned, their cable modems tend to be faster than
Comcast.  I have the 20 Mbps link and find that I can actually get the
full speed most of the time.

-Dave