[mythtv-users] [OT]HDMI, SPDIF, DVI Nvidia, etc

Pete Cap peteoutside at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 20 15:45:55 UTC 2009

>For the time being, I've created a custom xorg.conf based on the timings
>I got out of the edid info in monitor assest manager, no more noise and
>the tv is back to using the analog audio, it would have been nice to just
>have one cable going to the tv, but I suppose there are some bugs to be
>worked out yet.  I don't know why nvidia decided that this feature should
>be enabled by default, seems that it should have defaulted the other way,
>namely off, especially since most of the card vendors don't include the
>cable with the tiny two pin connector to connect to the motherboards
>spdif connector.
>

>Calvin...

Calvin,

Can you mail me or post your xorg.conf?

I have a similar issue going on which has forced me to use a Radeon card (with all its buggy video) over an 8600gt.  My motherboard has no SPDIF header, so I cannot take advantage of passing audio over the DVI cable.  Despite this, the card is sending SOME kind of audio signal, which in turn causes the TV to ignore the analog inputs.

Incidentally, the reason Nvidia's vendors do not include SPDIF cables is that, in many cases, this is an "undocumented feature."  99% of the world still apparently believes that "HDMI" means "video and audio, encrypted" while "DVI" means "video only."  It took me two weeks to get a vendor to admit that their card was capable of SPDIF.

Best of luck...

--Pete