[mythtv-users] Some problems with mythtv (high cpu utilisation and no deinterlacer settings)

Adam adam at fastmail.com.au
Fri Feb 20 12:52:12 UTC 2009

Hi,
I've got two problems at the moment with my mythtv setup. The first is
as follows.
I've got a HTPC which runs mythtv-0.21_p18314-r1. The operating system
is gentoo with kernel 2.6.27-r8 (32-bit).
The system is a 2.4GHz core 2 duo with a geforce 9600GT video card and
2GB of DDR800 ram. The TV capture card is a Hauppauge Nova-T 500 DTV PCI
card.

The mythtv server also runs a frontend and is connected directly to the
tv. I also have a mythtv client running in another room with the exact
same kernel and mythtv version (except it's a 64-bit system). The CPU of
my mythtv client is a 3GHz core 2 duo, 4gb memory and a geforce 8800gt.

The problem is when I watch live HDTV on the mythtv server the cpu
utilisation is:
mythfrontend - ~50%
X - ~95%

When watching the same HDTV stream on the mythtv client the CPU
utilisation is:
mythfrontend - ~25%
X - ~4%

The xorg configuration is virtually identical between the client and
server. The playback settings in mythtv are also identical (CPU++ profile).

I would like to get to the bottom of this problem, because even though
it doesn't affect tv playback, it's possibly wasting power and making
the cpu run very hot.

The second issue is I've been unable to configure de-interlace and
custom filter settings since I upgraded to mythtv 0.21. When I enter the
playback profiles page and edit a profile the only available fields are
"match criteria", "decoder", "video renderer" and "OSD renderer". There
is no de-interlace option, or custom filter option and I cannot find
these settings in any other configuration screen. I'm completely baffled
because I've looked through the mythtv manual and some wiki references
and they all seem to refer to settings which don't exist in my mythfrontend.

Thanks in advance.